Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Funny Fish Stories

Ok ya'll - there is never a dull moment in my life and I can PROVE it!

Tori found my old fish tank a couple of weeks ago. Her room is a beach theme, so I had placed the empty tank in her room in case we wanted to get her some fish this summer. So a couple weekends back, we all head to Petsmart to grab her a couple of fish. We got a silver Molly.... and a red Mickey. We figured we'd see how long they lived -and then go back for more later this summer.

As the lady was picking us a Molly - she asked Tori if she wanted a girl fish or a boy fish... at which point my eyebrows went haywire trying to figure out how you can tell the difference! oh well.... Tori wanted a girl...  So we get the fish, get some food and head home.

As soon as we release the fish into the tank, I get a closer look at "Leda" - the silver molly. She's lookin' mighty PREGNANT ...round. So I joke with my husband that maybe she's just a "healthy eater"  *wink wink*. He jokes back that maybe that's how the petsmart lady knew she was a girl.

Ya'll... I kid you not - within hours... this fish had spit babies all over our tank. I'm talking LOTS of babies. Thankfully (and also unfortunately) we had put river rocks in the bottom of the tank instead of gravel - so the babies immediately went to hide in the river rocks. But this also kept us from getting a good count of how many there were. We found upwards of 12 dead on the bottom - and the final count of live babies - were 21!  21 NEW FISH! Holy cow! Upon further research - Mollys can have up to 40 babies at one time!!! O...M...G. Heaven help us.

So a friend of mine from work let us borrow a spare tank so that we could separate the adults, because they eat their young - and we had to get baby fish food... yes, there IS such a thing. I'd never heard of it either. CrAzInEsS, I tell you.

Here's the really scary part.... after several months, the babies will be big enough to start breeding!!!! OH GOD NO!!! We only have a 10 gallon tank! Wow... the life of me.  Us Jamesons... we never have a dull moment.

Anyone need some fish???

This was literally minutes before our tank blew up with babies. 

2 comments:

Brittney said...

This is so funny. I hope you have lots of friends who want fish!

Unknown said...

Haha. Actually a couple of people at work have already asked. Whew! ;)

Post a Comment