Monday, October 1, 2012

Fall has officially FELL.

Hey Ya'll! (spoken in my BEST Paula Deen voice)

You know how they say "Spring has sprung"? Well Fall has fell here in East Texas. It's 80 degrees out! (That's cold for Texans!) It's the first day of October and my birthday is 3 days away! In the spirit of Fall, I decided to make my FIRST sweet potato pie of the season! I found a fantabulous recipe online for a crust-less sweet potato pie with only 80 calories per slice! Yup, you read that right! It's the easiest recipe and SO fantastically delicious! It is slap-yo-mama good!


I baked me up a couple sweet potatoes last night and just threw them in the fridge since I didn't have time to make the pie right away. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh sweet potatoes. I wouldn't use a canned sweet potato if my life depended on it! I did, however add a few substitutions to the recipe. I didn't have nutmeg, so I substituted pumpkin pie spice. Surely it has nutmeg in it... right? I also added a little ginger. Hey, what can I say... I was feeling spunky. So blend it all together, and pour into a greased pie pan... and VOILA.. crust-less sweet potato pie!

Crust-less Sweet Potato Pie

2 cups sweet potato (baked and removed from skin)
3 large eggs
1 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk (2% used in nutritional information)

Preheat oven to 350*.

Beat sweet potatoes in mixer until smooth and stringiness is broken down well. Turn mixer onto low and add eggs and milk, then Splenda, and finish with cinnamon and nutmeg.

Spray a pie pan, cheesecake pan, or tart pan well with cooking spray and pour filling in. Cook in oven for 30 to 40 minutes - check often around 30 minutes and remove when center is still just a little bit jiggly (it will carry over and firm up). Let cool for an hour before attempting to slice.

Makes 8 equally-sized slices of pie.


Let me just say this.....Thank goodness that my husband is out of town this week so that I have the whole thing to myself! Truth be told, he wouldn't enjoy it anyway. His favorite pie is punkin'.

BTW: I sprinkled the top of my pie with cinnamon. I am a cinnamon Fah-reak! Love me some cinnamon. Love the flavor, love the smell, love putting it on everything. I also topped it with a spoonful of Lite Cool Whip (20 calories)... and there you have it.... Fall.... on a plate... for only 100 calories. Oh how I LOVE fall!


P.S. Spark Recipes also has a recipe for crust-less Pumpkin Pie. We'll be trying that this weekend when my hunny gets home. 

3 comments:

Cristi Atchley said...

Okay, that looks amazeballs! But, I'm with your hubby... pumpkin all the way! Ha!

Now what are you doing to celebrate your birthday? Are you gonna be alone? ;(

Unknown said...

He's gonna fly back in on my birthday. He should be back in town around 5ish when I get off. So that's good! We may do dinner and then go to the mall. He's getting me a new Coach purse! I just have the one you got me... and hot pink isn't really a color that's popular for the fall and winter months. lol. So we're going to get me a "fall" purse. I'm so excited!!

Cristi Atchley said...

He's a keeper, Chas! Have fun! And happy "early" birthday!

We still need to get together so I can bring y'all those clothes. I should have brought them to the luncheon at church, but I totally forgot. Boo...

Post a Comment