Saturday, September 29, 2012

Goin' To The Fair

One of my FAVORITE yearly traditions.. is to visit the East Texas State Fair! They always come to town a couple weeks before my birthday. In years past, my brother and I would wander around, grab us some food and go laugh at all the carnies. SERIOUSLY! There are women who look like men, men who have no teeth, and half of them... you just can't understand what they're saying when they're trying to shout for you to come over. It never ceases to amaze me all the different styles of people who show up to these things.



So last year, I met my husband and invited him to come with me to the fair. He's lived in Texas for 10 years and had NEVER been to the fair! Can you believe it? Never! Well, we get there and I always head straight for the food. There is absolutely NO way for you to visit and leave the fair without getting a foot-long corn dog and a lemonade. (BTW: back in the day... they were called corny dogs.)

Come to find out, my husband had never had a corny dog! What rock have you been living under man?? So needless to say, he is now a corny dog addict. I may have to put him in therapy for it. This year, as soon as we crossed through the gates, that's the first place he headed! Once our corny dogs were in hand, we headed straight for the expo buildings. Every year, there are all sorts of crafts, photos, artwork, and collections that have placed and won ribbons. Some of them are pretty good! It's pretty fun walking through and seeing all the entries. The last expo building is usually FAV. Every year, they have booths set up showing you how to conserve water and compost your leftover scraps, but this year there was also a cow milking machine. This thing not only taught you how to milk a cow but there was even a little contraption for you to put your finger in and see what it felt like to be milked! Whaaa? Yup, that's right. Get your finger milked! Step right up!  There is NO telling how many fingers have been put in that thing. YUCK. I think I'll pass.

So anyway, we round the corner and the next set of booths are all about the birds and the bees. No really! The have an incubation container with chicken eggs, and also the East Texas Bee Keepers Association with a transparent bee-hive filled with live bees!  I usually pass on the bee station but I LOVE looking at the little baby chicks. This year, one of them hatched seconds before we got there! He was taking in his first few breaths while I was snappin' pictures like a feign. SO PRECIOUS! There is NUTHIN' like seeing a newborn baby figure out the world. 


So this years fair = SUCCESS! Got to eat my corny dog and get me some fresh squeezed lemonade, taste tested Richard's cotton candy, wandered through all the exhibits, watched a pig race, threw some rings at some bottles, watched a baby chick hatch, and walked away.. one happy lady. Can't wait for next year!

4 comments:

Cristi Atchley said...

Jeff and I have never been to the fair either! Can we go with y'all next year? ;-)

Btw, I would have TOTALLY milked my finger, ha!

Love ya!

Unknown said...

Absolutely! We'd love for you to come with us! Although, I have to admit, I'm not a ride person. Rich begs me to do it... but I'm just happy to eat my corn dog, scope out all the weird fried stuff they offer, wander through the expos and play a game of toss the ring. lol. That's about the extent of my fun. But I really do enjoy it! You guys will have to come with us next year and see all the craziness that comes to town. ;) They have everything from homemade fried pies to homemade sodas, REAL rootbeer (the best you've ever had - I think it's made with sassafras which reminds me of the old saloon days), funnel cakes, cotton candy, candy apples, and anything fried that you can think of. They used to have a little petting zoo with "exotic" animals like a zebra, giraffe, and some other weird creatures... but this year they had pig races. They were adorable!! Plus of course all the rides you can think of. It's fun!

BTW - a little off topic. Are you going to Mistletoe and Magic this year? Have you ever been? That's another one of my yearly traditions. I LOVE LOVE LOVE wandering through and seeing what all they have. It's my FAV! You wanna come with?

Cristi Atchley said...

Okay, I don't like the rides either, but Jeff does! Him and Rich can have at 'em! And I will be all over the fried foods and pig races! Jeff will buy out all that rootbeer, it's his favorite! Woohoo!

I've never been to Mistletoe and Magic! If you love it then I will too! I'd love to go with you! When is it?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment